ICT Support for Parents
29 September 2020
Internet Access through BT Wi-Fi Hotspots
Dear Parents and Carers,
The Department for Education (DfE) has teamed up with BT to give children and young people free access to BT Wi-Fi hotspots. BT has created 10,000 hotspot log-ins that can be activated through name/password combinations. It calls these combinations ‘vouchers’.
Every voucher comes with content filtering, and one voucher can be used on up to three devices at once. Vouchers will work until the end of December 2020.
Vouchers are available to families with children from early years up to 16, and care leavers up to 25 if they:
· don’t have access to a fixed broadband connection
· cannot afford the additional data needed to access educational resources or social care services
· have access to a BT hotspot (coverage varies depending on where you live)
Families can check hotspot coverage by turning on a device’s Wi-Fi while at home and seeing whether BT Wi-Fi is an available network. This will appear as ‘BTWi-fi’. If you don’t see ‘BTWi-fi’ initially, you should try again in different rooms, as coverage can vary within the same building.
It’s also possible to check coverage by entering an address on https://www.btwifi.com/find/. The results you get from this aren’t always accurate, so we recommend using the first method.
The DfE have asked Local Authorities to gather eligibility information through schools, so if you are eligible and would like to receive one of the vouchers you will need to send us the following information:
· Number of children between 2 and 16 in your household
· Family initials (an adult’s first and last name e.g. Rhian Bevan = RB)
· Your full postcode eg (CR0 0EG)
· Consent to share your postcode with the DfE (e.g. I give consent for Rowdown Primary School to share my postcode with the DfE)
· Confirmation that you meet the three eligibility criteria (see above)
Please e-mail the information to us using email@example.com
Please be aware that the number of vouchers is limited to 10,000 and they will be issued on a “first come, first served,” basis.
Please also be aware that, although the school is acting as an intermediary, we do not run the scheme or make decisions about who will or will not receive the vouchers. All we do is pass your information to the Local Authority, then distribute any vouchers that are issued.
Further information can be found at: